The Xlerator: Classy Functionality


Just when you thought humankind had developed every object that's capable of exuding class through elegant functionality, along came the the Excel Dryer company of East Longmeadow, MA.  For years they produced the typical, nice-try public restroom hand dryers that inpatient people everywhere use for about 5 seconds before wiping their hands on their pants.

Sometime in the early 2000s the company unleashed their Xlerator model. This machine blasts out heatless air onto your hands so quickly and hard that skin is freakishly pushed away. The entire drying process takes 10 seconds.  And the gorgeousness of the design runs a close second in importance - it's really an objet d'art.  (At least compared to other things you find in public restrooms.)

When I first began to notice this product I found myself assigning high-levels of esteem to any early-adopter dining establishment. Now, since the product has been on the market for quite some time, I have different response.  I view any upscale restaurant lacking an Xlerator as somewhat of a dump.  Ok sure, you may have a human being standing in the bathroom squirting soap onto my hand and handing me a paper towel, but does he make jet-engine noises?  And I have to give him a $1 tip? (Honestly, there are times when I wish there was a vending machine-like dollar bill insertion point in the Xlerator - with the tips going directly to the design team.)

1 comments:

JTS said...

oh my gosh, i LOVE the Xlerator! I don't know why, but it's so fun. The Dyson Blade is pretty fun, too - have you ever used one of those?

Post a Comment